Tuesday, May 25, 2010

OPERATION: WHALE SHARK


Butanding or Whale Shark is not at all a predator. It doesn't have the infamous razor-sharp teeth of his cousin, the great white shark. It is, however, a giant. It is believed that Jonah (the Bible character) was swallowed by this mammoth. In the province of Bicol, in Donsol-Sorsogon, one can spot at least a dozen whale sharks on its peak season.

On the day of our exploration, the waves were unusually bigger thus making this species more withdrawn. Our spotter saw one only after 15 minutes from where we took off. Unfortunately when we were about to dive in, it quickly went into the deep. Our next encounter happened after more than two hours of grueling search.

I thought we were in for a bad luck. I really had a serious talk with God. In that two-hour wait, I repented, promised to go to church, promised to limit my TV marathons and promised to read my Bible, only to see a Butanding. God said (with thunder and lightning): 'Believe me, you will not only see one, but two'. Hmm, I thought, a mother and child? I must be asking too much. I also remember Him telling me not to mention it to anyone. But like that leper (or was it a blind man) who was healed by Jesus, he goes to everyone trumpeting what had transpired. I have no idea why I am divulging it now. I guess it was incredible how God speaks. But I know that some of you may be raising their eyebrows now.

OK so quite obviously, we did see a Butanding. Two in fact. But it wasn't a mother and child. Nor did it spring out acting like a dolphin while waving its tale. I was asking for too much. The first one swam in front of us but it was too quick for us to swim with it. Besides, all the other boats would make a run for it and give their clients a glimpse of the gentle giant. As for our second encounter, we were able to jump in the water and see a glimpse of it. Wow, my nieces and sisters saw the big fish while I was too busy making sure everyone is OK. When I dipped my head in the water, I saw NOTHING!

I am not really a water guy. In fact, I'm a terrible swimmer. But ever since grade 7 I have wanted to scuba dive and swim with a whale. I was able to do this now (only that I was wearing a life vest). This is my small courageous act.

3 comments:

  1. Cool! I want to do that someday! I like how the name of your blog comes from the meaning of your name. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog, Drae! Nice posts! And nice idea of the name of the blog. Personal branding at its best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! Thanks Art Roy! :p See you guys soon on our screening... Hmmm what's taking so long? :D

    ReplyDelete