Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A BETTER PHILIPPINES


What is the worst thing that could happen to you on the day of your flight especially if you are the one who organized the vacation way ahead of the scheduled trip? Yes, that's right, for the airline to tell you that you cannot board the plane unless you renew your passport! It was April Fool's Day and I thought, "Haha! Good one!" only that the lady at the counter didn't break the silence by saying "You're in Candid Camera!" She was still straight faced. I went pale. I'm doomed. I will have to take a bus from Clark to Manila carrying my oversized backpack and carry-on for my Mac. I am more worried about looking stupid rather than actually missing my flight. To make the long story short I was able to go to Borneo. All 19 of us. Thanks to my well connected pops.

Kota (which means city) Kinabalu is a place in Sabah. Malaysia (but still believed by many to be rightfully owned by the Philippines) is like being in Cagayan de Oro except that the cars are on the wrong side of the road, the roads are well cemented and skyscrapers mushroomed here and there. In other words, better! The locals are very accommodating but not unreasonable to the point of discriminating against their fellows (just like in the Philippines). A good number of people trace their roots in Mindanao, Zamboanga to be exact. So it is almost like being in the Philippines. But better.

When I say better, I mean better roads, better housing, better insurance coverage and definitely more peaceful. Malaysia is an open city and you are free to practice your religion provided that it will not violate any laws (quite obviously). So Muslims, Christians, Buddhists and others live in harmony. So... yes, it's definitely better. With a new administration under "Kuya" Noynoy (isn't that fitting since we call his mom, Tita Cory?) I am very optimistic that we will also have a better Philippines this year. It only takes a small courage to help a Presidential candidate win in this election. But collectively, what appeared to be a losing candidate had at least 5million lead from his rival.

Am I done helping Kuya Noy now that we have won the election? I guess not. I will be actively helping this administration with my passionate friends in Pinoy Power.

No comments:

Post a Comment